Explore our blogs
Nursery ReceptionH ReceptionS
1H 1S 2H 2S
3H 3S 4H 4S 5H 5S 6H 6S
School Council Teams+Clubs
Latest posts from our blogs
- This week, we have been reading the story 'We're Going on a Bear Hunt!'
We have been writing sentences about the Bear, singing the song, drawing pictures and having lots of fun with the story.
Today, we decided to create our very own binoculars and go on a bear hunt around school.
The children loved going on a ...more
- We loved our visit from Father Christmas today!
He said we were all on the nice list, and he even brought us a present each.
- We spent this morning with our gardeners. They helped us get changed into our pyjamas ready to watch The Polar Express in the hall, and were all given a special ticket so we could board the magical train.
During the film we sat with our gardeners and drank hot chocolate - delicious!
Just as the film was finishing, ...more
- This Sunday, 27th November, marked the start of advent.
The children have been learning about advent and understand that it is a time of waiting in preparation for the birth of Jesus.
Today, we created our own advent wreaths; the children were able to say how many candles are on the wreaths and which colours they should ...more
- The children have been practising for our Nativity assembly. We are fantastic at remembering our lines and love singing all of the songs we have learned.
Today, we tried on all of our costumes ready for our dress rehearsal. We can't wait to perform in front of our families ...more
- We were EXTREMELY lucky today; the Peter Pan pantomime production came to school!
The children all joined in - cheering for the goodies and shouting "BOO!" at the baddies.
Peter Pan needed somebody to help him capture Captain Hook, and Pola was more than happy to help. "He ran that way into the trees!" She ...more
- Our new topic in Come and See is 'Birthdays', so for our Explore lesson we decided to throw a surprise birthday party for our class teddy, Lenny Heart.
"Thank you for inviting us to your party Lenny!" Charlie H
"Lenny is 5 today, just like I will be 5 when it's my birthday!" Liam
We talked about how ...more
- Today the children were learning all about Remembrance Day and why we need to remember all of the fallen soldiers. They took part in lots of different activities and could talk about why we wear poppies leading up to, and on, the 11th November.
Each child created a poppy and added it to our class wreath; ...more
- This week we have been learning all about 3D shapes.
We know how many edges, faces and corners different shapes have and we are really good at recognising 3D shapes in the environment around us.
We played shape bingo and went on a shape hunt around school to see what shapes we could find.
"Your pencil case is ...more
- The children enjoyed making our very own poppy wreath for Remembrance day!
They also enjoyed using various transient art materials to make their own representations of poppies. The children were able to talk about why we wear a poppy and all observed the 2 minutes silence at 11 ...more
- Continuing with our 'Amazing Autumn' topic, this week children have been using their fine motor skills to carve pumpkins with their friends.
They used different tools and techniques to scoop out the seeds, design different patterns, and carve their decorative designs onto the pumpkins.
Some children wanted to take a closer look at the different things they ...more
- This week we have been learning lots about our new topic, 'Amazing Autumn'.
To make ourselves familiar with the different changes in Autumn, we went on a walk (in our Autumn hats) to see what different autumnal treasures we could find.
We found different things, like; crisp leaves, muddy sticks, berries and conkers! We spoke about our findings ...more
- At Sacred Heart, the eldest children in school are placed in a pair with some of the youngest to help and guide them throughout their very important first year as part of our school family. This lovely project is known as 'Seeds and Gardeners'.
This week in Reception we have spent a lot of time with ...more
- The boys and girls in Reception loved going across to Nursery today to see the chickens that Mrs Latham had brought to school. The children enjoyed guessing the chickens names and asking Mrs Latham questions to find out more information about them. The children were very keen to make the chickens feel welcome and suggested ...more
- Today we visited our Parish Church, Sacred Heart.
We wrapped up warm and walked down to Church to look at the wonderful things inside. We spoke about the differences to other buildings and how being at Church made us feel.
In Come and See, we have been learning all about Baptsim and being welcomed into God's family. ...more
- During the first couple of weeks in Reception we had been getting to know each other's names. Now that we know everybody in our class, we decided it was time to get to know other people in our Sacred Heart family... Tme to go on a name hunt!
We made sure we had our pencils and ...more
- Today, we were singing 'Come and Join the Circle' as a whole Reception family. Mrs Mason, our Headteacher, was walking through and heard our beautiful singing voices - she couldn't help herself and had to join in!
It was a lovely experience we all shared together, and it was a lovely end to our ...more
- On Monday, we went on a spiritual journey around our school to reflect on those less fortunate than ourselves. We also took the opportunity to say prayers for those we love and to forgive those who may have wronged us.
We we took it in turns to lead the pilgrimage, carrying the cross through school on ...more
During Golden Time today, we made chocolate apples as a treat for having a fantastic week in Reception.
The children melted the chocolate, dipped their apples in and sprinkled decorations on ...more
- Today the children asked if they could be artists, so... Out came the watercolours!
The children created lots of different designs using their wonderful imaginations.
"I'm painting a rainbow with me underneath it base I'm so happy." Peony
"I'm making a picture with lots of poppies on to remember all the soldiers who have died." ...more
- My class (5H) are trying there best to get the Attendance Bear (Shaw). My teacher (Miss Pike) said that if we got the bear she will double our Golden ...more
- This blog post is all about New York. In class for the past few days we have been learning all sorts of facts on this amazing city. The nickname for this place is The Big Apple.The recent presidents name is Barack Obama. He earns $400,00 a year which in English money is £281,868.79!To round all ...more
As part of our North America topic, we studied the life and works of pop artist, Andy Warhol. He’s an incredibly interesting character. We discovered that his work reflected popular culture in America during the 1960s. Interestingly, his art was mass-produced and he had a particular taste for Campbell’s soup. Did you know that he ...more
Today we went on a school trip to the Wigan Jazz Festival. We had lunch at cabaret style tables whist watching a band called The New York Jazz Band. They played at Glastonbury just after Adele. We danced and clapped along to the beat. The band even came off stage to create a conga ...more
- The children in 5H enjoy planning and leading their own Collective Worship. This is one of my favourite images from this year. From Miss ...more
Year 6 are busy doing their SATs this week so 5H have decided to take care of Mr Turner's class pets. They are very taken with their new surroundings and are having a good look at all of the boys and ...more
We find lots of fun ways to strengthen our finger muscles so that we are ready to do lots of writing.
We have been learning about bulbs and daffodils. Some of the nursery children have very green fingers!
The dark den caused a lot of excitement - exploring torches and light sources was great ...more
- These Christmas pictures were made in Colour Magic in Mrs Tisdale's lesson. I was so impressed by them that I just had to put a selection of them up on the blog. Do you like them too?
- Today we had an extra special visitor to raise awareness for Children in Need. He was very friendly!
- Mad Science Day saw our children having a tug-of-war against an electromagnet! Who do you think ...more
- Some of us thought the day was a fabulous Stone Age Day. What did you ...more
- You can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man!
Today we have written the story of the gingerbread man as part of assessment week. We tried really hard to use capital letters and full stops. We got a mini gingerbread man to eat and Miss Szaloky ate one ...more
- We had some feathered friends come to visit us in nursery.
The hens made some fantastic prints in the paint with their feet.
Just like in our story "The Little Red Hen", we all had a go at baking some bread.
As we all helped bake the bread we all shared it together.
- We have been working our socks off in Year 2! In Maths we are working very hard to use the equipment to help us.
- As part of our topic on Wigan we did some work all about post codes. We decided to write our own letters and see how long it took them to arrive at ...more
- Buongiorno, pizza pals!
Do you think you can design a pizza? Please label your ...more
- We did some shape printing with harvest fruit and vegetables.
Look at all our Autumn items. We having been feeling lots of different textures- crunchy, spiky, smooth.
For our funky fingers we had to punch holes in the leaves and tag them together.
All the children loved investigating the spider that we caught.
Which Mediterranean artist painted these famous paintings?
Can you name any other famous artists of the ...more
On Thursday the 1st of October, our new School Council members met for the first time.
We are looking forward to holding our first "official" meeting before our half term break. Please feel free to share any ideas on our school blog, or speak to your class ...more
- We had lots on fun at our PE session.We did some balancing with the bean bags on our head-that was tricky and everyone got excited with our parachute games.
"Hum what can I find in nursery?"
The children set out a very yummy heathy picnic.
What interesting shapes are we building with the Knex?
- This morning we visited Haigh Hall as part of our topic on 'Wigan'.
We did lots of sketching and enjoyed exploring the area. It was very ...more
- We have been decorating our initial letters for our name display.
It was someone's birthday in the house today!
Lots of knights in our castle.
It was tricky work on the funky fingers table, working out how to screw and unscrew nuts and bolts.
Some brilliant mark making in our ...more
- A Geologist studies rocks. Can you describe any of the different properties of rocks? If so, you are becoming a Geologist!.
- At the Funky Fingers table building towers and creating patterns.
Dressing up in the home corner.
Using tools in the play dough.
Constructing with the ...more
What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in a Mediterranean ...more
What are the advantages and disadvantages of going away to the ...more
- Today we did our sponsored fancy dress walk, do you like our costumes?
- You have all worked EXTREMELY hard over the last few days planning your own version of The Gruffalo story. We have looked at changing our character, our setting and who he (or she!) meets along the way. We have been writing about aliens going to outer space, monsters in the woods, crazy ...more
- Today we had a special visitor at school for children in need - Pudsey bear!
Thank you for all of the money that you donated today.
Check out our ...more
- We have been very busy making our own castles as part of our homework. Mrs Ramsay and Miss Szaloky were very impressed with them. Look for ...more
- On Wednesday 15th October we visited Skipton castle. Whilst we were there we spotted some real arrow slits, discovered lots of information about how people used to live in castles and had a really great time!
Check out our ...more
From our very special correspondent and roving sports commentator...
A fantastic season came to a successful conclusion on Thursday 12th June when the Sacred Heart Football Team added a cup final victory to an outstanding league campaign during which the team never lost a game, winning 17 games and drawing one.
Now for the treble. The boys ...more
- We are very proud of these children from year 2 and 5 as they are climbing Mount Snowdon! Good luck to them ...more
- We have enjoyed our music lesson this morning with Mr Hughes!
- Today we have been talking about nocturnal animals. We have been using our learning log research to help us think about super sentences!
This afternoon we explored the 'bat'!
Quietly bats fly through the lit, night sky. - Isabelle
Often bats get insects that eat our food and luckily they kill them. - Lauren
The smallest bat is called ...more
- Today we did our sponsored fancy dress walk, do you like our costumes?
- We had an amazing day at Mere sands nature reserve.We went pond dipping, mini beast hunting, tree hugging and got to create our own nature pictures. Sue, who runs the centre, said that we are the best behaved school that visit there every year. Our teachers are very proud!
Yesterday we were looking at lines of symmetry. Do you like our symmetrical ...more
- Today we have a special visitor in Y2 from the Wigan Life Museum. Mrs Maiden told us a special story all about a little boy called Tom and his journey through Wigan. He had to travel on a boat along the canal with his horse.
We got the chance to touch some real coal from the ...more
- Year 2 designed their own egg-cellent eggs as part of a competition last week. Well done to our winners and all of those who took part - they were cracking!
- Mrs Tisdale took the school choir to participate in Wigan's Holocaust Memorial Day at Wigan Town Hall. They sang beautifully, and were rewarded by being invited to the Mayor's ...more
- Each child gained 1 raffle ticket per club visit. ( Every Tuesday lunch time)
Well done to all our lucky winners today, I hope you enjoy your Easter treats. I would also like to congratulate ALL the members of Mathletics Club for your commitment to attend every Tuesday lunch time, and your growing success with your ...more
- Boys and girls I am pleased to inform you that 'Barry the fish with fingers' has been returned to our classroom!
Mrs Chambers and Mrs Stirrrup were both persuaded by your fantastic arguments! Super writing well done ...more
Congratulations to the children who have made some fantastic progress using the Rapid Read Intervention .
You are all SUPER STARS !!
Keep up the great work and ...more
- Year 3 had a visit from Mrs Sweeney from History Alive. We dressed up as Egyptians and found out about their lives.Some of us were peasant farmers, soldiers, dancers, scribes, princesses and Pharaohs. Have a look at the photographs by clicking this ...more
- I thought that you might like to take a look at your photographs from the Christmas play - you were all fantastic!
- This afternoon with Mrs Darlington, we came up with some amazing questions to ask the local fire service! We want to find out all about the job of a firefighter.
Here are some of our questions:
What was your most dangerous job?
Do you enjoy your job?
Why do you wear a special uniform?
Can you think of anything else ...more
- Our new theme is 'Fire!'
This afternoon we enjoyed using our voices and the instruments in Music. We are learning to sing 'London's burning' as a group. We can use the instruments to tap out the ...more
- Very sorry that I was unable to be in school for the last two days due to illness.Thank you for your cards and gifts -Mrs Wilson has delivered them! I hope you all have a great Christmas and that Santa brings lots of surprises! See you next ...more
- We always welcome comments from our visitors. Anyone can leave a comment and you don't need to have a log in to do so. To leave a comment on any of our posts simply click on the comment bubble at the right of the post title. This will open the post in it's own window ...more
"For Christmas I hope Father Christmas brings me a doll house with things in it, a nintendog, a barbie shop and a pretend rabbit." ...more
"I hope Father. Christmas brings a lion, a tiger and a leopard. I like animals from the jungle and animals from the zoo. I would like big leopards and a little leopard. The big one will be the daddy one and the other one will be the mummy one and the little one will be ...more
- We have a new shop in our class.
Guess what we have for sale?
We have got Christmas trees, a star, baubles, angels and candy canes.
In the shop today, we bought a Christmas tree and some baubles, some candy canes and an angel to put on top. We had to ask how much the angel was to ...more
"This is a rocket. This is a square. It has three triangles on it. At the bottom there is ...more
- Alesha and Ellie and Niamh played with the Nativity figures.
Niamh likes Baby Jesus best because she was the special angel who brought him to Mary.
Ellie likes Mary best because she was Mary in the show.
Alesha likes Mary because she is Ellie's ...more
- Today in Literacy we are writing our own instructions for how to grow your own beanstalk (like the one that we saw in the pantomime!) We loved it!
- This week we performed our play about Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus.
We had to wear special outfits. There were shepherds, angels, sheep, stars, donkeys, innkeepers, camels, wise men and party guests. What a lot of different characters!
We sang 'Knock, knock knock at the door' 'Hallelujah', 'It's a baby' and lots of other songs. We hope everyone ...more
- A fantastic concert with the Y3 children excelling themselves despite it being a long and tiring day. Now we know all about the hard work needed to put on a ...more
- Literacy has never been so tasty! We have been learning how to follow and write instructions, so on Monday we made Alien Jelly using lime flavoured jelly and Aero Bubbles as alien eyeballs! After writing the instructions, the best bit was eating it before the alien could get ...more
Continuing with the theme of instructions, we rounded the week off by following a set of instructions to make a paper plane. We just had to test them out ...more
- Welcome to our new class ...more
- We visited Bolton castle and learned all about how people used to live in the past. We had so much fun. Check out our pictures...
- We celebrated all of our hard work with a special 'theme day'. On this day we dressed up and completed lots of fun activities - including making (and eating!) our very own coat of arms on toast!
- In October Year 2 visited Bolton castle and enjoyed lots of activities, including archery in the style of Robin Hood!
Check out our photographs...
- Our maps and flag counters show us how many people visit our blog - the more visitors we have, the more exciting it is for our children! Help to support our children's learning by visiting us regularly to see how our blogging is ...more